Extralegal Raid Closes Indonesian Radio Station

Extralegal Raid Closes Indonesian Radio Station

Press freedom organisations say closing due to pressure from Chinese

By Helena Zhu
Epoch Times Staff Created: Sep 16, 2011 Last
Sep 16, 2011


| E-mail to a friend
| Give feedback

Related articles: World
> Asia



In the midst of a normal broadcast day on Tuesday, about 30 Indonesian
officials burst into the studios of Radio Erabaru, trailed by dozens of press.
After breaking into the station’s transmission room, the officials walked back
out with key broadcasting equipment, despite failing to give any warrant
authorizing this seizure to the station’s personnel.

The Sound of Hope affiliate Radio Erabaru
has broadcast in Indonesian and Chinese from the island city of Batam for six
years, but since 2008 the Indonesian government, which was initially supportive
of the station, has sought to shut it down.

The station’s staff say the
turnaround was
inspired by the Chinese Embassy
in 2007 sending a letter to several
Indonesian government departments and embassy officials paying a visit to the
Indonesian Broadcasting Commission. The embassy called for the radio’s
broadcasts to be terminated, lest China-Indonesia relations be

The raid was conducted by officials drawn from the police, the
military, the local Frequency Monitoring
Agency, and the Indonesian Broadcasting Commission, according to Raymond Tan,
the station’s associate director, who related what happened that day in a
telephone interview on Thursday.The officials claimed the station had to be shut down because its
broadcasting was disrupting the air traffic in the nearby city-state of

When Tan, Gatot Machali, the radio’s executive director, and
five others at the station tried to explain
that the station was operating legally, the authorities simply darted for the
transmission room with one of them trying to break the door’s padlock with a

“Gatot and I tried to stop them from hammering the door," Tan
said. “But they forcibly opened it using the tools they brought and took two
things from the transmitter, one was exciter and one was the audio processor,"
two pieces of equipment needed for broadcasting.

Devastated to see their
six years of work going down the drain, Tan and Machali rushed outside, hoping
to stop the authorities’ cars from driving away, only to find themselves
helpless and outnumbered.

While the Indonesian officials held a piece of
paper in their hands that they said justified their actions, no copy of it ended
up in the hands of Tan or Machali.

“We are very sad. We cannot accept
this in a democratic country," Tan said. “If Indonesia is a country with law. I
think the government should respect the law. They have to respect the law. …
We are not breaking any law."

The Indonesian government had previously
reassigned Erabaru’s frequency, 106.5, to the station Sing FM. That station,
which had been broadcasting on 105.5 FM, transferred to 106.5 immediately after
the raid.

Allowing the Sing FM broadcasts on Erabaru’s former frequency
calls into question the claim that Erabaru’s broadcasts interfered with air
traffic in Singapore.

“You have to prove that [the air traffic
interference] really happened," Tan said. “It’s not just who said, who
complained. We have been broadcasting for so many years that there’s no such
thing happened. If there’s an air traffic disruption, why is Sing FM
broadcasting on 106.5?"

Unconvinced by the air traffic explanation, Tan
and his colleagues believe that the forced closure has deeper reasons.

Erabaru’s broadcasts, 30 percent of which are in Chinese and 70 percent
in Indonesian, reach a large ethnic Chinese population in nearby Singapore,
150,000 ethnic Chinese on Batam, and heavy freighter traffic, including many
Chinese ships, in the nearby sea lanes. Radio Erabaru carries reports on the
human rights abuses committed by the Chinese regime against Falun Gong adherents,
Tibetans, Uyghurs, and others inside China, which greatly annoys China’s
communist regime and most likely explains the
embassy’s attempts to close the station.

Only after the embassy’s intervention in 2007 did Indonesian authorities in
2008 deny the station’s license, reassign its frequency, and begin a process of
other bureaucratic restrictions. In March 2010, a similar raid with broadcasting
equipment taken away was carried out by
who said they were acting because Erabaru did not have a permit to
use its frequency.

“I think all these things happened because of the
Chinese communist regime," Tan said. “If it wasn’t for the intervention from the
Chinese regime, it wouldn’t have happened like this today. We feel that is very
unfair. The government should not listen to the Chinese communist regime, as
Indonesia is a democratic country. It should have its own dignity and own

“We had been broadcasting from 2005 and we had
everything—equipment, manpower, program. Everything was there. … There’s no
reason that they were not issuing us a permit," said Tan.

Despite the
2010 ransacking of the station, Tan and his colleagues repurchased their
equipment and were able to continue with their broadcasts. They have sued the
government and are waiting for a decision by the Supreme Court. With the Supreme
Court not having decided, they were surprised to find authorities in their
station again a few days ago.

“We thought this time [since] we were
appealing, so they wouldn’t do anything to us," Tan said. “That was what we
thought, so we weren’t prepared. Because the case was still under appeal, they
wouldn’t take any action to close down the radio station. We did not expect that
they came on Sept. 13."

If they win the case, Radio Erabaru would be able
to get its 106.5 FM frequency back, but in the mean time, Tan said if they
continue their broadcasts, Erabaru will have to share 106.5 FM with Sing FM,
which would cause mutual interference.

“The most important point is that
the court cases should stay in the court,
authorities should not take any actions to shut the radio station down," Tan
said. “From what we understand is that they have to wait until the court has the
verdict, otherwise they are just not respecting the law here."

In the
most recent case involving Erabaru, a court noted that the station had been
treated differently by Indonesian authorities.

On Sept. 6, Machali
was convicted
of operating a radio station without a license, receiving a
suspended six-month jail term with one year of probation, along with a fine of
50 million Indonesian rupiah (US$5,800).

The decision in his case noted
that it had been proven in court that there are many radio stations in Indonesia
broadcasting without licenses or frequency permits. While they also break the
law, they are not charged by the authorities, according to the

While the staff at Erabaru were surprised by the
raid, Tan found out that other radio stations and media outlets were informed in
advance of the plan by the government. The news appeared on the front pages of
several newspapers the next morning.

The radio station’s closure has been
condemned by Reporters Without Borders and Freedom House, with both linking the Indonesian government’s
actions to pressure from the Chinese regime. Freedom House called on the
Indonesian government to protect freedom of the media and information in
Indonesia and allow radio stations such as Radio Erabaru to broadcast without
“fear of closure or retaliation."


About floweroftheheart

FlowerOfTheHeart@hotmail.com ஐ 精彩代理看真实世界 ஐ 突..破..网..络..封..锁,可于此下载免费软件: http://sdrv.ms/OoAbld (软件已崁入word文件内) https://sites.google.com/site/freegatebbs/ 自2004年12月3日起退党(/团/队)人数: 125,607,496(http://tuidang.epochtimes.com/) [请用破网软件进入] 《九评共产党》 http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/nf3541.htm [请用破网软件进入]
本篇發表於 未分類。將永久鏈結加入書籤。



WordPress.com 標誌

您的留言將使用 WordPress.com 帳號。 登出 /  變更 )

Google+ photo

您的留言將使用 Google+ 帳號。 登出 /  變更 )

Twitter picture

您的留言將使用 Twitter 帳號。 登出 /  變更 )


您的留言將使用 Facebook 帳號。 登出 /  變更 )


連結到 %s